Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama, IQA Page 12345 Sargachi, the first branch center of Ramakrishna Mission with its present Headquarters at Belur Math was founded by Swami Akhandanandaji Maharaj, a direct disciple of Sri Ramakrishna in 1897.Imbibed with the ideal- “Service to man is service to god” as propounded by Swami Vivekananda, the high-souled and compassionate Swami Akhandananda came forward to rescue the famine-stricken villagers of Murshidabad on 15th May, 1897 by distributing rice at Mahula, the birth place of this Ashrama, about 3 Kilometers southwest of Sargachi.
The present site of Sargachi was taken over in March 1913 after 2 years of its existence at Mahula and 14 years at Shibnagar. It has grown into a huge complex with varied activities. It has about 33 acres of land dotted with flower gardens, agricultural and vegetable gardens, green field and mango groves. The Ashrama has engaged itself in disaster-management, educational and healthcare activities of the local people since its inception. Swami Akhandanandaji Maharaj, by 40 years of his austerity and extensive service activities turned this unknown, remote village of Sargachi into a huge complex with vairied philanthropic activities. This Ashrama has been rendering its humble services to the humanity in all the above-noted sphere of activities uninterruptedly for more than one hundred years giving solace and peace to thousand of suffering people in these rural areas. The multifarious educational and cultural activities of the Sargachi center of the Ramakrishna Mission have behind them the inspiration of years of this new form of tapasya of its founder Swami Akhandanandaji Maharaj.